Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Wonderful Evening Of Bleakness


I've been working my way through Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic book The Road over the past couple of days and last night, (with only 40 pages left), I managed to finish it. The basic premise centres around a father and his son struggling to survive as they travel down a single road, cutting through America which has been ravaged by fire and is now covered in a blanket of ash. Needless to say it isn't the feelgood book of the year but a total page turner nonetheless and possibly one of the best books I've ever read.

Feeling a little jaded and somewhat depressed after finishing the book I then watched the movie The Escapist starring Brian Cox. This is a British prison flick and to even briefly describe the plot would be giving too much away, just trust me and rent this movie. It has all the great elements of a prison escape story plus a lot more. There you go folks, read The Road and watch The Escapist...unless of course you are looking for a laugh.

No comments: